Friday, November 16, 2007

a cold november mourning.

last night a pack of wild coyotes took the life of our dear turkey, leroy. the only comfort i can find: at least he was taken in his sleep, there were no remains save a few feathers, and he had a lovely last two weeks. he enjoyed his bowl, his cookies, and his family. he was charming nosy neighbor. i will miss him with all my heart. there will be no new additions to the farm until we adopt a llama to protect us from coyotes.

mother nature is cruel. nature is obscene. werner herzog put it best in this quote from "Burden of Dreams":

"Nature here is vile and base...The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain.....it's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder.....We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(((Larissa))) I'm so sorry about Leroy. We've had the same problem with coyotes here - they got two of the neighbour's sheep 2 nights ago :(
I'm so glad you "put him in the movies" - I feel like I know him. Rest in Peace Leroy ...
Love ya,
JenM